Saturday, March 6, 2010

Art On Anything


I remembered a post one of my fellow classmates did over the winter session about taxis instead of having advertising atop their cars would have art. This took place for a month if I'm correct but the point of it was to try and showcase art so that more people could enjoy it and maybe get interested enough to go to a museum.
Well, I found a post of TheDieline where it showcased a series of art project on Styrofoam cups. It said that each cup was one of a kind. The only thing really that I see wrong with this is it's not a usable cup anymore! The practicality of the item is gone.



I do like the idea that art can be everywhere and I like that this designer Cheeming Boey has come up with Styrofoam art, but, I would like to see a mix of both practical and beautiful. The problem I usually have with art being replicated on things is this, the art piece was made out of a certain media, to work for that media, taking it to a different style can compromise the piece. It's like when books are adapted to movies, they don't always turn out so well.




Although, what is different about the Styrofoam cups is that it's art made to be on Styrofoam cups. I don't really wanna discuss about mass production of art and it's consequences... i think I've posted something on that already... but I would like to see a way in which art could become more exposed to the people.

No comments:

Post a Comment