Sunday, March 7, 2010

Never Heard of Him


Andrew Carnegie, I personally had never heard of the man before Seth Godin. Of course I know the University, but I never stopped to think where the name came from. Andrew Carnegie was believed to be the second richest man in history. His story is a true rags to riches tale. As a young boy he came to America and began working as a messenger boy. Later in his life he build the most successful Steel company ever. In short he was a powerful man.
But what made this man so powerful? Well he believed it was the people who worked for him. "Take away my people, but leave my factories and soon grass will grow on the factory floors... Take away my factories, but leave my people and soon we will have a new and better factory." intelligent words from a powerful man; but this words are too soon forgotten in this day and age.
I recently watched a documentary on the fabric district of New York City. It said how while in the 60s, if I remember correctly, all the cloths on sale in America, were made in America. I love that. In a small way it's one American helping another American. Now though nearly all the garment district imports their cloths from abroad where they can buy cheaper labor.
Man just isn't worth what he use to be anymore...
I think me and this Andrew Carnegie think alike. Later in his life Carnegie used most all his fortune to fund philanthropic pursuits. I can except some people having big houses, those with big families, but if you have no need for such extravagance why not just give your money to something that can use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment